Thursday 28 July 2011

Weird alien egg thing

When I was learning Spanish, the tutor gave me a cartoon strip to write about. In the strip was a strange alien egg thing (a bit like Ludwig, perhaps) and I had to say what it was.

I wrote that it was a Mechanical Philosopher. It was able to consider the Big Questions. More than that (and with a nod to Douglas Adams), it knew what the Big Questions were. But best of all, it could not speak. So whatever cogitations occured within its impressive brain, it kept to itself. For it was the very best and most beneficial sort of philosopher: a silent philosopher.

In the years since then, I have had an unknown number of thoughts. I do not claim for them the status of Cogitations: and I certainly make no claims to being a Philosopher. But I have largely been Silent, perhaps beneficially so, like the alien egg. Until now!

No comments:

Post a Comment